Thursday, September 8, 2011

A Good Concert

Last week we went to Def Leppard at Usana Amphitheater.

Lets remember how much I love a good concert. While it wasn't the greatest of shows, I do highly enjoy singing "Photograph" at the top of my lungs... with a few thousand other fans. My favorite fan, we will call him Jerry, sang every word to every song to whomever was around him. He literally body rolled a few people. Let me paint a picture of Jerry. 60's, short basketball shorts, tie-dye t-shirt, long stringy grey hair and Bill Nye glasses. He was good times :)

I love concerts. They are amazing and fun and the measure of a true artist in my opinion. If you can perform live and it's good, then you have arrived. This brings me to what I think are the greatest concerts I've seen to date. This is in no particular order but I will explain my realm of thinking.
The Killers = Brandon Flowers is one of the greatest showmen I have ever witnessed. He knows how to put on a show and get the whole crowd into it. Love it! Have seen him 4 times and can't wait for more. The "Day and Age" album might be the best. Best song "Joy Ride" or "Only the Young."
Sting = I love him. I mean look at him. He's a specimen of perfection. Best was his concert at Wolf Mountain under the stars. Marja and I saw him with J.T. in the same week. He is magical and delicious. With a voice like buddah.....My favorite album, "Mercury Falling." Best song...um....hard one..."Why should I cry for you?" or "A thousand years"
James Taylor = Could a man really sound this good live or on an album? He is amazing. Have seen him a few times and he gets way better with age. Like a fine wine (not like I know....I'm mormon). I adore his voice and love all of his work. Favorite Album = Hourglass.

Grateful Dead = Was able to see them on their last tour before Jerry died. Was an amazing show. I'm pretty sure I got a contact high from that one, but it was 3 hours of amazing. I was with my brother matt, his girlfriend (now wife) Jamie, Dustin and my friend Lora Jane. We had upper bowl, front row seats at the Delta Center. I have never smelled so much pot and B.O. in the same place. I got hugged by a hippie who welcomed me to the family when he found out it was my first Dead concert. Favorite album = Europe 72. Best song, Sugar Magnolia or Scarlet Begonias.


Chris Isaak = Yummmmyyyy kitttttyyyyy! My friend Hillary took me to this and we had the front row. She actually got up on stage! It was awesome! I got to meet him and shake his hand afterwords. Honestly, I didn't wash my hand for a week. Best album = Baja Sessions... however, Wicked Game is his greatest song.

Jimmy Buffett = I am a parrotthead at heart! His concerts are 3 hours of a transformation to paradise. You can sing all of the words, put your fins up, and wear your coconut bra happily. I proudly wear that grass skirt and sip that virgin pina colada as often as allowed. If you aren't familiar with his work, start with the "Changes in attitudes, changes in latitudes" album.

Worst concerts ever - Depeche Mode, American Idol, Alanis Morissette (I almost got crushed to death during this one so that's why it made the list.)

1 comment:

  1. Few people have great taste in music, you are one. The Dead :) hehe

    ReplyDelete