Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Bishop David G. Draper


It's with a heavy heart that I make this post. My dear sweet bishop passed away suddenly last friday. It was a shock and a surprise to all who knew him. I write this post mostly for my own need to remember him, but also for those who didn't know him. I'd like to share an example of what it means to live up to your potential.
As I have been a member of this church for 33 years now, I have enjoyed my fair share of bishops. Some great, some terrible. But never, ever have I had a bishop like him. He was one of the hardest working and hardest playing people I have ever met. I mean seriously. He was in great shape. He was an active guy who loved to move. He could run faster than any of the youth, for example. He never shied away from work and could always be found helping out wherever needed. He lived up to his calling like I have never seen before. He was a soft-spoken man, but he knew how to laugh and have a good time. Bishop Draper often spoke of dreams that he had had. (More on that in a minute.) I hope that one day the Lord will speak to me in dreams. That just sounds cool.
Things I learned from Bishop Draper:
  • Magnify your calling. He was an incredible example of this. He LOVED the youth of our ward and was at almost every activity we had. He carried the mantle of the priesthood and was gentle in his demeanor. He would take the time to speak with, play with and council our youth. They loved him. We as leaders loved him. He was so fun to have come to things. I once watched him play steal the flag at girls camp and he tackled one girl so hard she cried. It was hilarious. Had I had known that youth conference last week would be the last time we would spend together, I think I would have spent more time with him. We all would have.
  • Listen to the spirit. Bishop Draper would speak of dreams that he had. At youth conference in his final testimony to the youth, he spoke of a dream he had had the night before. He spoke of people making choices and how we would want to save those people from making the wrong choice, but we can't. How our role in life was to love people regardless of their decisions. I wish I could remember more of what he said that night, but I will never forget how strong the spirit was. It was beautiful.
  • Be approachable. In church callings, you have to work with people. Sometimes thats a little more than difficult. He was not that way. He was always approachable and easy to work with. Loran and I had an impromptu meeting with the bishopric the sunday before youth conference to solidify details about it, and Bishop pulled out his organizer and wrote everything down that needed to be done. He and Shane (er...Bro. Young) divided up what they could and that was that. Problem solved. You could ask him for anything and he was willing to help.
I will never forget this man. I hope one day to be more like him. I truly feel that he was plucked from the earth to continue on in Heaven. They will love him. He is fun. I hope to remember the lessons he taught me and I am hopeful that I can rise to the occasions presented me in the gospel. Thanks Bishop Draper for being my friend. We will miss you!

1 comment: